Tottenham are in the midst of a high-profile chase for Liverpool forward Cody Gakpo, with Roberto De Zerbi told the likelihood of sealing a deal for the Dutchman before the September 1 deadline.

Sky Sports first confirmed Spurs’ interest in early August as De Zerbi actively searched for at least one new winger this summer.

REUTERS/Hollie Adams

Gakpo emerged alongside Man City winger Savinho as one of the leading names under consideration.

Fabrizio Romano subsequently described both players as priority targets and claimed De Zerbi wanted to sign two wingers before the transfer window closed.

Gakpo would give Spurs an experienced Premier League attacker who can operate from the left, through the middle or behind a striker, with insider Paul O’Keefe also revealing that De Zerbi is convinced the player can be a number nine as well.

Cody Gakpo’s career appearances by position

Rank

Position

Games

1

Left-winger

256

2

Centre forward

84

3

Right-winger

27

4

Central midfield

9

Total

376

via Transfermarkt

Liverpool have never been under pressure to sell, as Gakpo signed a new long-term £250,000-per-week contract in August 2025 and the Reds would therefore demand a significant fee, while also insisting that a replacement must arrive before any departure could be approved.

That replacement could be Bradley Barcola.

Liverpool have been heavily linked with the PSG winger throughout the summer, creating suggestions that his arrival could release Gakpo for a move to north London.

The story then accelerated when Voetbal International reported that Tottenham had registered formal interest with Liverpool and reached an agreement in principle with Gakpo.

Liverpool forward Cody Gakpo

However, Sky Germany journalist Florian Plettenberg challenged the claim that an agreement had been completed.

He reported that talks were concrete and that Spurs had contacted Liverpool, but sources close to the player denied that terms had already been settled.

Other reports even claim that the Merseysiders have already rejected a £60m bid from Spurs, but this is yet to be backed up by the wider media. Gakpo, meanwhile, has continued to feature for Liverpool under new head coach Andoni Iraola.

Liverpool manager Androni Iraola poses for a photograph before the press conference REUTERS/Phil Noble

He scored and helped create another goal in their final pre-season victory over Como, strengthening Liverpool’s belief that he could play a major role this season.

Tottenham told chances of signing Cody Gakpo from Liverpool

cody-gakpo-liverpool REUTERS/Jason Cairnduff

Interestingly, despite all the noise, talkSPORT reporter Alex Crook has now played down the chances of Tottenham completing the deal before the deadline.

“I don’t think it will happen,” he said.

“Speaking to sources at Liverpool, they think he’s had a good pre-season under Iraola, they think he’s a player that Iraola can get the best out of.

“I think he probably would be open to the move, but at the moment that’s not one I expect to happen between now and deadline day.”

Tottenham’s interest appears genuine and the possibility of personal terms is unlikely to be the main obstacle, but the decisive issue remains Liverpool.

Unless Barcola or another high-quality forward arrives at Anfield, Iraola has little reason to lose a versatile attacker who has already responded positively to his methods.

Spurs may keep trying before the deadline, but Crook’s information suggests this is a difficult deal to complete.